One or the Other?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

One of my friends is convinced that there are essentially two types of people in NYC (maybe the world). There are the people who are happy with what they have and then there are the "bigger and better" people.  It's very easy to either spot a type or to identify yourself as one.  Here's an example:

Scenario:
You're at Chop't and you need to order some lunch. You can either get something you haven't tried before or you can order the same thing that you ALWAYS order. What do you do?

I will always order either the Cobb Sandwich or the Steakhouse Sandwich.  Why? Because I know exactly what each one tastes like and I like the way they taste.  I could get something new, but what if I don't like it? Then I'll just be mad that I didn't stick with what I usually order in the first place.  I'm so clearly the person who's happy with what she has...or am I?  You know that you should branch out and maybe try something new, but why mess with a good thing?

On the other hand, I have friends who will always order something they haven't had before, just to say that they've tried it.  They have almost a compulsive need/drive to try something new.

Now does this translate into dating? It's entirely possible.

I've bumped into the "bigger and better" people. You know the ones, they start dating someone great, but they always have an eye out for someone better: someone better on paper, taller, smarter, better looking, etc. In the end, no one's happy because you can't entirely enjoy what you have if you're convinced that someone "better" is out there. 

On the other hand, is it ok to play it so safe all the time? To expand on the Chopt example, is it better for me to try EVERYTHING on the menu is that when I settle back with the Steakhouse sandwich, I know that it's truly the one I like? I think that it all depends on how well you know yourself and how confident you are in what you like.

Lesson Learned: I refuse to have the "Grilled Asian".

3 comments:

Foodie July 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

Yes, it entirely correlates. I rarely go anywhere twice and I am a serial monogamist.

Anonymous,  July 16, 2010 at 2:12 AM  

you are entirely rewriting the book, "marry him: the case for settling for mr. good enough". check it out.

227miles July 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

I'm definitely checking out the Mr. Good Enough book! Maybe I'll do a book review. I don't think anyone should ever settle but I'm also against unrealistic expectations.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP