A Piece of WASP Heaven

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Last month I went to Martha's Vineyard for the first time ever. My gay husband's cousin has a place there so we decided to meet up for a long weekend. To say that the vacation was much needed was a definite understatement. I had been working crazy hours and just had a lot of balls in the air (keep your head out of the gutter).

I took Friday off of work and took a flight out of La Guardia on Thursday night. Because I had arrived at the airport early, I decided to get a quick pedicure at XpresSpa at the terminal. FYI, those people rob you blind! And the pedicure wasn't even that great, maybe that should have been my first hint that the night was not going to bode well for me.

The plane had been delayed and so I was sitting on a runway for about 3 hours with a couple sitting slightly to the left of me. While I am totally a proponent of love, I HATE PDA. I don't want to watch you slobber all over each other and wonder where your hands are. In order to purge those thoughts, I turned up my iPod and tried to sleep.

Fast-forward 3 hours and we're finally touching down, we also happened to be the very last people to get to MV that night. GH (gay husband) and his cousin were awaiting at the airport with Mexican food in tow! God, I love him.


The rest of the weekend was spent going on long runs by the beach, tanning (GH has an entire system down pat) and eating lobster rolls. Most of the weekend went by in a blur, but I do remember seeing lots of madras, "Nantucket red" and critter embroidered everything.


I grew up in a single parent household (pre-stepdad), my mom was everything to me and the two of us tried to make it work. We lived in a one-bedroom apartment and when I was old enough to want my own space (I might have been 8) I decided to set up shop underneath our dining room table.  We didn't have a vacation home and rarely went on vacations. The whole world of using "summer" as a verb was completely foreign to me. So I guess now that I'm traveling a ton (both for work and play), I feel like I have a greater appreciation for it. I feel very lucky that I get to see different parts of the world and have great friends to share it all with.

Lesson Learned: If you have on lobster-embroidered shorts, don't feel the need to pair it with an anchor-embroidered belt, please.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP