International House of Men

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

One of my best friends came to town this past weekend.  Her boyfriend is graduating from B-School here in New York and his fellow classmates were having a party on the Upper West Side.  I got off at the wrong subway stop and ended up wandering about a mile in Harlem, wearing a short dress, stilettos and my Gucci purse.  I knew I was going the wrong way when I passed the Apollo...TWICE.


Honestly, if it wasn't for google maps on my blackberry, I'd never get anywhere. Thank you technology gods.  After trekking to her boyfriend's place first and chugging a gin and tonic (any girl would need one after an ordeal like that), we were off. 


First, the apartment is gorgeous.  Two floors with a balcony off each bedroom.  Fantastic views with amazing space and happens to be occupied by three Italian men.  I think that most of the students happened to be international.  Just imagine an apartment full of hot European men.  I've seen places like this in my dreams.  Except that in my dreams, none of the guys would have girlfriends.  I think a lot of the guys there didn't have significant others, but the problem was that out of the three men who approached me and chatted me up, they ALL had girlfriends.


Exhibit 1: Swiss B-School student.  Brown hair, olive skin, brown eyes.  Probably about 6' tall, slight accent.  Definitely my type.  We talked about London (his favorite city and where I'm headed in a month) and New York in general.  I started to ask him how he found dating in NYC when he dropped the G-bomb.  Next!
Exhibit 2: Italian B-School student. Same thing, brown hair, olive skin, brown eyes.  This time he's about 6'4", love it!  Very heavy Italian accent.  I knew fairly early on that he had a girlfriend, but he was a friend of a friend so I was happy chatting with him anyway.  He was super interesting, we joked about him marrying someone just for the visa (which one of my friends did, btw).  However, it was going nowhere, quickly.  Then...
Exhibit 3: American, Harvard Medical resident. Same build and look as the others, probably about 6'2".  Not sure what we talked about at that point because I was getting a little tanked on gin and tonics (drink of choice) and probably some awesome beer like PBR.  Anyway, he offered to introduce me to his brother, meh.


I bring these guys up because I don't get them.  They were clearly flirting with me and one even brought up "would you ever be with someone who had a girlfriend" and "I don't believe in monogamy".  Seriously guys?  After coming off of what I just went through, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.


Naturally I discussed this with my co-worker (who happens to look like a young Hugh Grant, swoon), and he said this to say: men with girlfriends are more likely to talk to me because they have nothing to lose.  In the end, they can flirt with me and be confident that if I reject him, it's because he has a girlfriend.  Hugh also said that I'm probably different from the girlfriends and that's intriguing (I guess).  Single guys, on the other hand, are probably a little intimidated by me (I find this to be true).


Lesson Learned: Men are dogs. Wonderful, sexy, intriguing dogs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP