DC Edition

Sunday, May 16, 2010



As many of you know, I spent last weekend in DC.  My pseudo little brother was graduating from the Corcoran School of the Arts and I had promised him that I would go to the Senior Exhibit that displayed his thesis project.  Words cannot describe how proud of him I am.  He's a super talented graphic designer and he'll be one to watch!


I haven't been back to DC since I've moved to New York in March.  As the Bolt Bus was pulling into DC, I started experiencing a little anxiety. It's hard to say what caused it or what triggered it.  I don't think I was quite ready to confront the memories that that city holds.


Day 1, Saturday
Pretty low-key day, spent some time with my friend V, who's like the big sister I never had. Went to dinner at Cafe Saint Ex on U St and headed to Policy afterwards.  I'm not sure if it was an off night for DC or what but the selection of guys was sub-par at best.  After a while, even the unattractive guys started looking like Jake Gyllenhaal.  It's like when you've been in IKEA too long and suddenly a lamp that costs $16 seems like a giant rip-off.  Same logic.


Policy, 1904 U St., NW, Washington, DC (202) 387-7654

I've had dinner at Policy before and it's more of a small plate style of food.  The lamb is excellent as is the duck salad.  I had been trying out vegetarianism at the time and needless to say, I failed. Miserably.  Made it an early night and headed out.  

The thing about DC is (and please feel free to disagree) that the women are vastly more attractive than the men there.  That being said, guys who normally wouldn't pull higher than women who are a 5, manage to pull 9s in DC.  They then get this inflated ego because they're pulling women that they shouldn't be able to or could in other cities.  The attractive men in DC are either gay and dating another even more attractive man or are married with kids.  Single, good-looking men in DC simply don't last very long on the dating scene.  Again, glad I got out.

Day 2, Sunday
It was Mother's Day and I had to spend time with the pup, Wrigley.  V and I picked her up from the dog sitter's house (the ex is out-of-town, thank God) and we headed off to brunch at Alero with another friend, who I actually met on Twitter.  The power of social media for being actually social? I know, amazing ;)

The afternoon was spent at my friend L's place.  He and his partner took me in after the break up and I ended up staying at their house for about a month and a half. It's funny, L bought his townhouse last year and we always joked that the front guest room was my room. Lo and behold, it turns out we were psychic. My month and a half with L was amazing. He and his partner love each other so much, that it was very therapeutic for me to be around them. In a time when I was cynical and hurt, being surrounded by people who love each other was extremely important.  And of course, I'm overjoyed that my friend has found someone to share his life with.


Honestly, I was itching to leave DC by the time Sunday night rolled around. There just isn't anything in that city for me.


Lesson Learned: If you don't see any good-looking guys, just keep drinking until you see Bradley Cooper.

1 comments:

Wrecked Stellar June 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

I definitely agree- cute guys in DC/MD are hard to come by...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP