Money Ain't a Thang

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I went for drinks recently with someone who was a residual off of Match.com (I know, they keep popping up).  Anyway, we had tried to make plans, but I was a little distracted and wasn't REALLY interested so it just kind of slipped by the wayside.  We met at a cute tapas place in Tribeca and he seemed like a really nice guy.  He's about 5'11" (a little short for me considering I was wearing my favorite heels, python Gucci platform sandals, drool) but in great shape with a nice smile.

The conversation flowed pretty smoothly, but I couldn't help but notice that he kept mentioning how successful he was, how great his sailboat is, etc.  He even left the key to his Mercedes on the bar while we talked.  That's what pockets are for, buddy.
When I date someone, money actually doesn't factor in for me.  I mean, lack of a job/drive is something completely different, especially if he still lives in his parents' basement.  The bottom line is that if someone has a job or is doing what they love, the passion for his work means more to me than the amount in his bank account.  Listen, I'm not a saint, I do like nice things.  I like going to fancy dinners (occasionally) and I have a weakness for beautiful shoes (all the time).  At the end of the day though, I can pay for these things myself and I prefer to.

I had a conversation with a friend recently, my best friend actually, and we talked about how nice it would be to be taken care of, to do the things with the kind of freedom that a lot of money permits.  We spoke about dream vacations on white sanded beaches and a gorgeous apartments with city views.  And although those things would be nice, they're nothing if you can't stand the person you're with.

Give me a great conversation and amazing chemistry over coffee at Barnes and Nobles over a fancy dinner with someone who's trying a little too hard anyday.

Verdict: probably won't see him again, no matter how nice his sailboat is.

Lesson Learned:  If he pays for dinner, he's going to try to stick his hand down your shirt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP